- Explore the world and apply learning through meaningful experiences
- Make connections between classroom learning and the real world
- Develop personal and professional skills that can be applied to learning experiences and the school community
- Explore passions and interest and have FUN!
Students do this through intensives, when they will have an extended multi-day deep study of a subject designed with student interests and teacher passions in mind. Some examples of intensives we’ve offered are listed below:
- Animal Rights- volunteering with Denver Dumb Friends League and the Denver Municipal Shelter
- Mural Art
- Glee Club
- Rock Band
- Young Men’s Leadership
- Outdoor Adventure (camping overnights)
- Strategic Games
DSISD students will also conduct fieldwork whenever possible, visiting organizations and local businesses in various industries to make connections between their learning and real-world application, as well as learn about various careers in different sectors to help inform their decisions as they design their futures and college choices. Examples are visits to NREL and The Counterterrorism Education Learning Lab to make connections to their learning in Science, Engineering and AP Human Geography classes. We also have incredible teachers who as adventurers themselves, have taken students on amazing trips. See below for trips to Washington DC and New Zealand!